Re: Where is Oracle’s Grid ?

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_adelphia.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 06:17:06 GMT

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 12:09:37 -0800, Daniel Morgan wrote:

> Total nonsense. The reason is that it is only now going through its
> second Beta. And Oracle doesn't want to release this with the same level
> of problems previously experienced with 9i and the 9.01 release.

Well, why did they give it to anybody, then? You said that you're testing 10g. What exactly are you testing? Did you agree on the plan and deadlines for testing before they gave you the software? No? If not, you cannot say that you're doing serious testing. For instance, I could live with a beta version, without support, for testing & learning purposes only, and yet I cannot get the software.
 In addition to that, I know about non-disclosure agreements from other people that are testing 10g. If my argument is a total nonsense, why is 10g shrouded in secrecy so much that it was necessary to protect it by using non-disclosure agreements? No, I firmly believe that Oracle is trying to give unfair advantage to some people. If nothing else, handling of 10g is a huge marketing blunder and a proof that oracle has idiots in high places in the marketing division. That, in itself, is a reason for me to get away from them. Too reminiscent of DEC. Of course, if they're trying to give unfair advantage to their buddies, then they are idiots to the 10th degree, which leads to the same defensive action.

> Would you rather have it right or rather have it like a version 1.0 from
> Microsoft?

You mean like 9.0.1? Or do you mean like 8.1.7 patch sets that couldn't be backed out and un-installed? Giving 10g to few buddies is supposed to protect me from that? How exactly?

> Why was the statement nonsense? Because consultants, such as myself,
> make more money from buggy software.

No. That is untrue. As I've said before, during 90's I've been a fairly successful consultant in NYC. If the software is buggy, big companies that consultants depend upon will not install the software. As a consultant, I was making money on knowing how to use and configure software as well as knowing how to diagnose problems in user's software. I cannot write patches for Oracle RDBMS and I doubt that you can. If you can't, how can you profit from buggy software? That's a total nonsense, if I've ever seen one. The fact remains that you have 10g and I cannot get it, which is fundamentally unfair. As someone who has started with Oracle 4, who has been dealing UFI, IAP1.3 and IAG1.3, SQLPME (5.1), IOR (5.1) and all the versions henceforth, I'm not particularly scared by the bugs in RDBMS. I only do not see why should you have an opportunity to learn the software 6-8 months before me? That is unfair and brings to mind the PeopleSoft story. If they're trying to destroy PeopleSoft, one of their largest customers and promoters, what can I expect? You didn't convince me.

--
None of us is as dumb as all of us.
(http://www.despair.com/meetings.html)