Re: Where is Oracle’s Grid ?

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 18:37:33 +1100

"Mladen Gogala" <mgogala_at_adelphia.net> wrote in message news:pan.2003.12.15.06.17.38.350911_at_adelphia.net...
> On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 12:09:37 -0800, Daniel Morgan wrote:
>
> > Total nonsense. The reason is that it is only now going through its
> > second Beta. And Oracle doesn't want to release this with the same level
> > of problems previously experienced with 9i and the 9.01 release.
>
> Well, why did they give it to anybody, then? You said that you're testing
> 10g. What exactly are you testing? Did you agree on the plan and deadlines
> for testing before they gave you the software? No? If not, you cannot say
> that you're doing serious testing. For instance, I could live with a beta
> version, without support, for testing & learning purposes only, and yet I
> cannot get the software.
> In addition to that, I know about non-disclosure agreements from
> other people that are testing 10g. If my argument is a total nonsense, why
> is 10g shrouded in secrecy so much that it was necessary to protect it by
> using non-disclosure agreements? No, I firmly believe that Oracle is
> trying to give unfair advantage to some people.

Where I take issue with your analysis, Mladen, is this statement. Oracle has a fine track record of giving no-one an advantage except themselves, so the idea that they've handled 10g the way they have in order to give a select few insiders a leg-up is just not on. Oracle hates giving a compettitive advantage to *anyone*, because it means they don't have it themselves. (For the record, I can't get 10g either).

>If nothing else, handling
> of 10g is a huge marketing blunder and a proof that oracle has idiots in
> high places in the marketing division.

No such proof was ever needed. Some things are simply self-evident.

Regards
HJR

--
Oracle insights at www.dizwell.com