Re: Moving an 8i Database

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_adelphia.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2003 22:09:05 GMT

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 17:49:33 +0000, Coder wrote:

> Hi, I've worked with Oracle a bit, but am still very much a newbie.
>
> I'm planning the move of a production database system from an old server
> running Windows 2000 SP2 to a new one also running Windows 2000, but with
> SP4 and all other updates.
>
> The current server is running Oracle 8i and another application on top of
> it. The entire database is about 11GB.
>
> From my research it looks like there are several ways to move this database
> over to the new server. What do you think is the best way to do the move it?
> I need to get an identical configuration on the new server.
>
> Thanks!!

You have several choices:
1) Install the software on the new server, create an instance

   and do export/import. With 11GB, it wouldn't be a problem.    I've done it with 1.1TB, it took a 3-day weekend and some nasty    tricks, like the parallel import streams. This is good because you    can actually migrate to 9.2 without much trouble. This is the best    way of doing things because all the structures are taken care of    and initialized properly.
2) Install the software, copy the database files to the new location,

   copy the parameter file, rename the files (do "alter system backup    controlfile to trace" on the old database, copy it to the new location,    recreate the controlfile and merilly SQL away. This is the fastest    way.
3) You can duplicate the instance using RMAN. Read in Rob Freeman's book

   how it's done. If you don't have RMAN already configured, it's too    complex to be useful.
4) You can use transportable tablespaces, although it's an overkill for

   measley 11GB.

--
None of us is as dumb as all of us.
(http://www.despair.com/meetings.html)