Re: developer privs in development (old thread inaccessible)

From: Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com>
Date: 10 Dec 2003 13:11:07 -0600

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003, damorgan_at_x.washington.edu wrote:

> it became apparent that part of the problem is these three
> roles.
>
> Most DBAs still assign them and thus never really take the time
> to create a granularity appropriate to the actual needs of the
> team. They give themselves the DBA role and something think,
> based on its name, it is inappropriate or dangerous in the
> hands of developers. What they should more properly realize is
> that it contains privileges irrelevant to DBAs too. DBA roles
> should be created, just like end-user an developer roles to
> ONLY enable those privileges actually required.

Never quite thought of it this way. I think you have happened upon something here. This is a bit like how many of today's java developers know zilch about databases. They have confused the term "database independence" with the developer not needing to know about the database. Just because the code can be database independent, this in know way excuses the developer from understanding the database.

--
Galen Boyer