Re: developer privs in development (old thread inaccessible)

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 09:05:41 -0800

Ryan Gaffuri wrote:

<lots of snipping>

Had an interesting experience in class last night I think many of you will find instructive.

I was explaining to students the fact that the roles CONNECT, RESOURCE, and DBA should never be granted to anyone on an Oracle system and how they should create their own application-organization specific roles with combinations of system and object privileges.

Based on our discussion, almost all of of the students are developers and DBAs, it became apparent that part of the problem is these three roles.

Most DBAs still assign them and thus never really take the time to create a granularity appropriate to the actual needs of the team. They give themselves the DBA role and something think, based on its name, it is inappropriate or dangerous in the hands of developers. What they should more properly realize is that it contains privileges irrelevant to DBAs too. DBA roles should be created, just like end-user an developer roles to ONLY enable those privileges actually required.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu