Re: developer privs in development (old thread inaccessible)

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 15:41:33 GMT

> Yet I can't think of a single instance where a DBA teach was required to
> put its scripts through QA or to maintain them in a change management
> tool.

I can. It happens when you do work for the Federal Govt on many projects. I've worked with DBAs who were subcontracted to NASA and every single little change (parameter change, script change, etc) had to go through a Configuration Control Board (CCB), go through QA testing, be put into a source code change management tool and all the other stuff. Sometimes, it takes forever just to fix something that's broken because of all the steps one goes through. Other times, its definitely worth all the trouble.

Cheers,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com