Re: developer privs in development (old thread inaccessible)

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2003 23:06:17 -0800

Paul Drake wrote:

> dude - I took the high road.

I agree. But I don't think Galen's statement was intended as you took it.

> some other time, some other thread.
>
> I do know - that I don't know what's best for your environment.
> But then again, you don't know what's best for mine.
>
> Pd

But this does bring up an interesting issue. Developers are generally good about version control and instructed to use products such as SourceSafe and to put their code through QA before implementation in production.

Yet I can't think of a single instance where a DBA teach was required to put its scripts through QA or to maintain them in a change management tool. And I can point to a huge disaster that I referred to earlier at AT&T Wireless caused by a DBA that went into production and did a little "clean up."

I think it is something that should be part of this discussion. DBAs should adhere to the same standards that they believe, and reasonably so, should be placed on development code.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu