Re: Gotchas while migrating from DB2 to Oracle.

From: VC <boston103_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2003 20:03:37 GMT

Hello,

You wrote earlier:

Unfortunately, the reality is such that Oracle is a fundamentally different beast from, say, DB2 with respect to transaction/concurrency mechanism. Oracle (as well as Postgres, Firebird/Interbase, etc) belong to a family of so-called multi-versioning schedulers whilst DB2, Informix, Microsoft SQL Server are locking schedulers. You would'nt've experienced such a shock if you'd ported between databases from the same 'family' since all the locking schedulers concurrency mechanisms are practically identical to each other.

In view of the above, I do not think you have much choice short of re-designing the application, at least the parts relying on the locking transaction scheduling, if Oracle is a must. Solid knowledge of the concurrency mechanism for both databases is a necessary pre-condition for the endeavour to succeed.

As to the web pages, this might be useful: http://otn.oracle.com/tech/migration/workbench/index.html

Good luck.

Rgds.