Home -> Community -> Usenet -> c.d.o.server -> Re: Can Oracle redo logs be played back at the same rate that they were recorded ? (stress testing, capacity planning, modeling)

Re: Can Oracle redo logs be played back at the same rate that they were recorded ? (stress testing, capacity planning, modeling)

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 22:10:29 GMT

Look at a product called Benchmark Factory from Quest (http://www.quest.com). One of the features of this tool is to be able to capture or script a load on your system and play it back on another. There is even the capability to "simulate" user think time and keystroke time.

HTH,
Brian

tur13o wrote:

> Looking for comments on the best way to set-up a stress test environment for
> scenario testing.
>
> An idea that occurred to me to at least put a test instance under similar
> load as production could be to some how play a day or so worth of redo logs
> into a test system, but at the rate that they were recorded. I presume redo
> logs were invented for recovery, in which case you want them replayed ASAP,
> but can any one think of a way to pace the replay to simulate a loaded
> Oracle system?
>
> All other ideas welcome e.g. tools for automating loading and modeling.
>
> In this case we have a ORACLE ERP application and we want to double or
> triple the number of orders being placed on it every month. What is the
> best way to predict what will happen to performance?

Brian Peasland
dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com

 the three"