Home -> Community -> Usenet -> c.d.o.server -> Can Oracle redo logs be played back at the same rate that they were recorded ? (stress testing, capacity planning, modeling)

Can Oracle redo logs be played back at the same rate that they were recorded ? (stress testing, capacity planning, modeling)

From: tur13o <research_at_basingstoke.plus.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 11:25:09 -0000

Looking for comments on the best way to set-up a stress test environment for scenario testing.

An idea that occurred to me to at least put a test instance under similar load as production could be to some how play a day or so worth of redo logs into a test system, but at the rate that they were recorded. I presume redo logs were invented for recovery, in which case you want them replayed ASAP, but can any one think of a way to pace the replay to simulate a loaded Oracle system?

All other ideas welcome e.g. tools for automating loading and modeling.

In this case we have a ORACLE ERP application and we want to double or triple the number of orders being placed on it every month. What is the best way to predict what will happen to performance? Received on Mon Dec 08 2003 - 05:25:09 CST