Re: Deadly sins againts database performance/scalability

From: Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com>
Date: 7 Dec 2003 21:39:04 -0600

On 5 Dec 2003, jedi_at_nomad.mishnet wrote:
> On 2003-12-05, Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com> wrote:
>> The business folks paying the checks weren't happy to learn
>> that bureucracy was in the way of progress. They told the dba
>> team to just open up the doors, completely.
>
> I can't imagine the production DBA's were any too happy about
> this. The last shop I worked in that was subjected to such
> shenanigans found it's entire Oracle DBA and Unix Sysadmin
> staff flee in a mass exodus.
>
> NO ONE wanted to held responsible for possible phantom screwups
> coming from the development side of the shop.

Well, if the DBA team were even remotely interested in being part of our development solution, if they wanted to do code reviews and analyze database designs and basically get involved in our development effort, then, well I'd have been all ears. I invited them into our CVS code base numerous times and they declined. Our code has been in source control since day one. Not one, let me count them for you, not one DBA looked at it. I installed an internal newserver where we discussed all our technical issues at a level you see here. I invited them into that arena, they declined. I offered to work on a database module in CVS with them so we could have a code base that all those doing database work in our company could use. They declined. I never, ever wanted to not have a dba crew around. And, you know what? I still have a dba crew around. They are in charge of our production instance. I have access to it, can do data uploads and patch our instances, but they take care of backup and recovery. With the level of their involvement in the development cycle, which was zilch, this is exactly what they should do, and this is exactly what they ONLY should do.

> You traded one insanity for another.

You are making a judgement based on different circumstances or just based on the titles of the characters involved in the story.

--
Galen Boyer