Re: Deadly sins againts database performance/scalability

From: JEDIDIAH <jedi_at_nomad.mishnet>
Date: 5 Dec 2003 20:24:20 -0500

On 2003-12-05, Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 05 Dec 2003, damorgan_at_x.washington.edu wrote:
>
>> So somehow the DBA team expects the developers to develop a
>> good application without access to DBMS_PROFILER, without
>> access to v$ magic views, and without access to other tables
>> and views critical to understanding what is happening and
>> optimizing performance and scalability. Good one.
>>
>> Then I imagine they sit around drinking coffee and whining
>> about the poor quality of apps developed by your team.
>
> Actually, that is about it. After many battles and executives
> learning how much my team was hampered in trying to get our app
> tested on our different deployment environments, I now have full
> control of now only the development instances, but also complete
> access to the production instances. (I still relegate the
> production DBA responsibilities to the DBA team)
>
> The business folks paying the checks weren't happy to learn that
> bureucracy was in the way of progress. They told the dba team to
> just open up the doors, completely.

I can't imagine the production DBA's were any too happy about this. The last shop I worked in that was subjected to such shenanigans found it's entire Oracle DBA and Unix Sysadmin staff flee in a mass exodus.

NO ONE wanted to held responsible for possible phantom screwups coming from the development side of the shop.

[deletia]

You traded one insanity for another.

--
There's no reason not to contribute to the stone soup if those    |||
contributions are not critical to your competitive edge.         / | \