Re: Long columns obsolete

From: Burt Peltier <burttemp1ReMoVeThIs_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2003 13:51:01 -0600

I wish Oracle would either expand varchar2 or provide another datatype SOMEWHERE (just 32K would be ok) between 4GIG and 4K :)

Dealing with CLOBs appears to be a fair amount of "work" as opposed to varchar2 .

Does anyone know if Oracle Applications use CLOBs?

When Oracle starts using these things in their own applications, then I would think they are really ready for primetime usage... like when they starting using CBO with 8i if I remember correctly.

Of course, the data dictionary may never change, but you would think their applications would .