Re: Any way to disable UNDO (rollback) with temporary tables?

From: Phil Kaufman <philk_at_dbcsmartsfotware.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2003 10:15:31 -0500

NetComrade wrote:
> I kind of understand the reason behind storing undo for temporary
> tables, but in our case, I believe we just don't need it.
>
> We are using temporary tables as 'arrays', since it seems like Oracle
> cannot pass back (in bulk) arrays of objects back to Pro*C. So we do a
> lot of logic within PL/SQL, and populate a generic temporary table,
> and then fetch from it in Pro*C. However, the overhead of writing UNDO
> (and extra CPU processing that comes with it) seems unnecessary. I
> looked at various 'events', but none of them seem to offer what we
> need.
>
> Any way this could be done?
>
> Thanks
> We use Oracle 8.1.7.4 on Solaris 2.7 boxes
> remove NSPAM to email

Since temporary tables have very similar characteristics to 'regular' tables, then you need rollback data to maintain a consistent table/database, or perhaps I am confused in this area. To me it seems reasonable to require rollback for temporary tables.

How would you handle a insert or update to the temporary table, with respect to your transaction, if you didn't have rollback? Received on Fri Dec 05 2003 - 09:15:31 CST