Re: Deadly sins againts database performance/scalability

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2003 23:28:15 -0800

Galen Boyer wrote:

> On Thu, 04 Dec 2003, damorgan_at_x.washington.edu wrote:
>

>>Too often the DBA's attitude and skills (or the lack thereof)
>>are the root reason the DBA is excluded.

> Daniel,
>
> I completely agree with you on this one. Most DBA departments
> (not the dba's themselves) are run as though the DBA departments
> are "blessing" the different groups with their godlike knowledge.
> Then, when I talk to the DBAs directly, we are all the same. We
> love the technology and want to make great applications and we
> are generally just completely interested in ALL phases of the
> project. To me, a DBA and a developer are both the same type of
> person just on different skill tracks.

You are correct and you point out another problem. The division of DBAs and developers into different departments with different budgets and different managers. Can't think of a better way to NOT create a team atmosphere.

Remember my 4th point ... managers that can't or won't? This screams of the same issue. What person in upper management thinks it is a good idea to separate DBAs from developers? And why isn't that person the one being downsized out of his or her job? I mean any reason other than the issue of who plays golf with who?

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu