Re: Deadly sins againts database performance/scalability

From: Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com>
Date: 4 Dec 2003 22:18:11 -0600

On Thu, 04 Dec 2003, damorgan_at_x.washington.edu wrote:

> Too often the DBA's attitude and skills (or the lack thereof)
> are the root reason the DBA is excluded.

Daniel,

I completely agree with you on this one. Most DBA departments (not the dba's themselves) are run as though the DBA departments are "blessing" the different groups with their godlike knowledge. Then, when I talk to the DBAs directly, we are all the same. We love the technology and want to make great applications and we are generally just completely interested in ALL phases of the project. To me, a DBA and a developer are both the same type of person just on different skill tracks.

--
Galen Boyer