Re: Performance impact of "MONITORING USAGE"

From: Andy Hassall <andy_at_andyh.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2003 23:15:20 +0000

On 2 Dec 2003 09:10:17 -0800, flado_at_imail.de (Vladimir Andreev) wrote:

>I am trying to convince my customer to switch on index monitoring on
>their 9.2.0.4 production database. To do that successfully, I must
>first convince myself that:
>a) their instance won't start crashing
>b) monitoring will have a negligible impact on the application
>performance.
>
>On point a), I searched MetaLink's Bug Database and found only a
>handful of pretty harmless bugs logged against this feature. So I feel
>on the safe side.
>On point b) I was able to find only a single remark by Tom Kyte on his
>website: "none that I can measure".

 Wasn't that statement in relation to table monitoring, not index usage monitoring? They're quite different; table monitoring tracks data modifications so DBMS_STATS can skip gathering statistics on objects that haven't changed enough to warrant recalculating their statistics.

http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/ask/f?p=4950:8:1720771222482916595::NO::F4950_P8_DISPLAYID,F4950_P8_CRITERIA:4070625171783,

--
Andy Hassall (andy@andyh.co.uk) icq(5747695) (http://www.andyh.co.uk)
Space: disk usage analysis tool (http://www.andyhsoftware.co.uk/space)