Re: Oracle database move to a new machine

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_tyahoo.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2003 07:06:00 GMT

v5034 wrote:

> I have:
>
> old machine 1:
> /u01/app/oracle/oradata/DB1/
> *.dbf files
> *.ctl files
> Oracle Database Release 9.0.1.3.0
>
> new machine 2:
> /u01/app/oracle/product/primary/oradata/DB1/
> *.dbf
> *.ctl
> Oracle Database Release 9.2.0.1.0
>
> I just set up Oracle on the new machine. What is the easiest and safest
> way to move the dbf and ctl files from the old machine and directory to
> the new one? Can this be done or am I going to have to whip up the old
> exp/imp tools?

Just curious - what does the upgrade docco indicate?

You give incomplete specs ... to answer correctly we'd need old/new OS and version at the very least.

You want to incorporate a machine move, a DB move, and an upgrade at the same time. Don't know whether you will be making other changes - for example, are you LMT'ing? Have you reviewed the other new 9iR2 features? If not, do you want to?

You may just want to brush up on emp/imp but there are a lot of conditions where this would be a smooth transition simply by copying and following the pre/during/post upgrade steps, especially if you had a script set up to handle the ALTER DATABASE RENAMEs

Definitely suggest you get the patches as soon as possible. Some interesting improvements in them (, documented in metalink). Received on Sat Nov 29 2003 - 01:06:00 CST