Re: Case insensitive queries

From: Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com>
Date: 28 Nov 2003 22:41:17 -0600

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003, hans.forbrich_at_telus.net wrote:
> Galen Boyer wrote:

>> Why are people so damn ready to defend Oracle, even when it
>> has an obvious limitation?  I love alot of things about
>> Oracle, but this is a shortcoming, no matter how it is sliced.
>>

> Last counter-question .... is case-insensitivity part of the
> SQL spec?

Okay, the semantics of my argument have no merit, because this isn't a requirement by anybody but customers. But, the development community is the customer most wanting this.

> If so, then full-speed ahead.
>
> If not, I'd rather see all vendors get closer to the spec
> rather than have each march in it's own direction on some
> 'convenience' mechanisms. (I find the deviation from spec that
> each vendor has to be totally disgusting.)

Oh well.

> I've never found this issue a short-coming. IMO, "limitations"
> with acceptable(?) workarounds are not necessarily limitations,
> although they might be irritations. I really don't find this
> an obvious limitation.

Oracle is positioning itself as the database for the web. On web searches, I have the ability to toggle. Why make the database developer do anything special to handle the client's wishes?

> (Using your tone - Why are people so ready to whine about
> Oracle when there are acceptable solutions available?)

To the web development world, this is almost unacceptable. Everytime the web-developer needs to produce a new web-page with the toggle he has to go ask a database guy if that guy can implement that solution again for another column.

This limits the productivity of development teams trying to get applications based on Oracle out to customers.

--
Galen Boyer