Re: -- insert instead of an update

From: Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com>
Date: 28 Nov 2003 20:36:58 -0600

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003, rtd45Rd_at_nospam.org wrote:

>> Obviously they don't want to live in the same mess as you seem
>> to be desiring to get in.

> Hope this was intended to be ironical :-/ My only wish is to
> discover what's new with that version because some companies
> are using it so I don't want to close myself some job
> opportunities. But maybe a Senior Oracle DBA has some good
> advice to give me, hasn't you, Sybrand ;)

Sybrand's answer wasn't ironical. He just isn't usually all that warm and fuzzy.

I try not to criticize designs that I know nothing about, but I am suspicious of your design. Why should an update ever cause an insert to the same table? I am assuming auditing is stored in your entity table? What's your primary key to this entity table?

--
Galen Boyer