Re: Deadly sins againts database performance/scalability

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 10:37:12 -0800

Hans Forbrich wrote:

> Galen Boyer wrote:
>

>>On 25 Nov 2003, joel-garry_at_home.com wrote:
>>

>>>Letting developers into the production database.
>>
>>Having DBA's make decisions about an application's database when
>>they haven't been involved in the datamodeling or coding effort.
>>

> Avoiding DBA (or at least data architect) input during design.
>
> Having developers with no datamodeling experience dictate table and
> column definitions.

A number of you have hit this point from various angles and I would like to try to merge them all and thus throw gasoline on the fire.

  1. There are DBAs that think their job consists of backup-recovery, creating users, and denying access to everything because end-users only create problems. I would cateogize them, for the most part, as DBAs that couldn't write and debug a stored procedure if you threatened them with a sharp object.
  2. There are DBAs that are also competent developers having come up through the ranks and are just sick and tired of developers that throw junk over the cubicle wall, don't run explain plan, don't use bind variables, and haven't a clue of the implications of what they write, and whine like babies when the phrase "code review" is mentioned.
  3. There are developers that are competent and can't understand why DBAs stand in their way trying to get the job done.
  4. There are mnagers that don't have the skill set required to define projects, hire good people, fire bad people, and train those that need more skill to do their job properly.

Tackle number 4 and the other three resolve themselves quickly.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu