Re: Deadly sins againts database performance/scalability

From: Ron Reidy <r_reidy_at_comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 19:26:46 -0700

  1. Developers that can't/won't read the docs.
  2. Developers that can't/won't take advantage of Oracle strengths (black box phenomona).
  3. Lack of bind vars; lack of reusable SQL; too much LIOs.
  4. Overuse of hints w/o understanding the CBO and how it works.
  5. Lack of budget to get the proper resources (people and hardware).
  6. Propogation of "mythical cure-alls" for performance issues.
  7. Badly architected software (see #3).
  8. The "internet-time" syndrome vs. carefull, well thought out analysis.

Lot's more, I'm sure.

--
Ron Reidy
Oracle DBA