Re: Pentium M and Oracle Performance

From: Thomas T <T_at_T>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 21:36:03 -0500

"W. Theiss" <wtheiss_at_gmx.de> wrote in message news:MPG.1a2c1d84b8ec9e55989683_at_News.CIS.DFN.DE...

> Hello,
>
> does anyone have experience with Pentium M CPU and it's Performance with
> Oracle 9i ??
>
> I'm getting ready to buy a Dell Latitude D800 with
> Pentium M 1700MHz, 2.0GB RAM and two HDDs 60GB build in
> and 40GB in Media bay.
>
> I am wondering about the Oracle Performance of this system compared with
> a Pentium 4 mobile CPU System.
>
> I have read that the Pentium M 1,7GHz general performance is about the
> same as the Pentium 4 with 2.6GHz.
>
> Because there are much faster Pentium 4 CPUs available (max 3.2GHz)
> and the price for the Latitude D800 is quite expensive I am wondering if
> it make sense to spend more money for a Pentium M CPU, because we
> basically need Processor speed to run Oracle 9i
>
> best regards
> Wolfgang

Is there a reason why you're going to run 9i on a laptop? Personally, I'd rather set up a server- or a hopped up desktop machine- to run 9i, and use my laptop and a good ethernet connection to access the database through a VPN. As a developer who's never found a "fast" laptop yet, it's my opinion that a laptop is a great and handy mobility tool- it sure beats driving to the office on a weekend- but it'll never be the workhorse that a desktop or server can be- even if you consider component failure due to heat! My laptop fans are always kicking on and blowing out hot air, but I've never felt the fans on my desktop or servers blow out hot air. (And no, I'm not running Oracle server on my 1.6Ghz P4 notebook w/XP Pro, just the Oracle client.)

Besides, if you cram two hard drives and two batteries into a laptop, you might as well carry a desktop machine under your arm! :) Like I said, this is all just my opinion, but I'd bet you'd be happier with a small (and expandable in the future) server and a "portable" laptop, and would probably wind up spending the same amount of money. What happens when you need another 100 GB, and you can't put another drive into the laptop? A server would be more then willing to take another drive into it's case...

-Thomas Received on Mon Nov 24 2003 - 20:36:03 CST