Re: 32bit to 64bit

From: Vsevolod Afanassiev <vafanassiev_at_aapt.com.au>
Date: 20 Nov 2003 17:03:48 -0800

Remie,

It is an interesting questions. I suspect that most applications will be *slightly slower* on 64-bit version. I also suspect that so-called "64-bit" version of Oracle is really 32-bit version with 64-bit memory management.

With 32-bit Oracle your SGA is limited to approx 2GB (3.75 GB if you use ceratin trick described in Metalink article). So it only makes sense to use 64-bit Oracle if you want SGA bigger than 4 GB. Not sure what exactly are the circimstances that require very large SGA.

Regards,
Sev Received on Thu Nov 20 2003 - 19:03:48 CST