Re: "Nologging"-option tablespace and tables

From: Volker Hetzer <volker.hetzer_at_ieee.org>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 17:33:17 +0100

"Jan Korecki" <Jan.Korecki_at_contactor.se> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:3fbb8e01$0$97836$57c3e1d3_at_news3.bahnhof.se...

> Volker Hetzer wrote:
>
> > "Jan Korecki" <Jan.Korecki_at_contactor.se> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:3fbb7b60$0$97839$57c3e1d3_at_news3.bahnhof.se...
> >
> >>Warning!
> >>Be _very_ carful when using nologging and +append in a production database.
> >>
> >>It is useful sometimes (big batch inserts) but you have to backup the
> >>database afterwards in order to have a consistent backup. Dont play
> >>around with it without coordinating the person responsible for the backups.
> >
> > Just out of curiosity, is there any reason not to force logging on a production
> > database? (alter database force logging)
> >
> > Greetings!
> > Volker
>
> I never used "force logging" but i think that it overrides +append and
> nologging. Im i correct?

It overrides nologging. I was under the impression that +append has to do with extend management, not with logging. But I could be wrong here.

> If i didnt trust my developers i would probably set force logging in the
> database and turn it off if/when doing _controlled_ huge batchinserts i
> order to save time.

So, during those inserts, ANY operations with nologging in it will not be logged. Those may be a lot more operations than the inserts you want to do.
As for trust, do you trust *anybody* not to make mistakes?

> But as i said i did not know about the "force logging" so i have to
> check it up first if it has any drawbacks.
http://otn.oracle.com/pls/db92/db92.drilldown?levelnum=1&preference=&expand_all=&book=Admin&method=FULL&chapters=0&verb=&word=force+logging#a96540

Lots of Greetings!
Volker Received on Wed Nov 19 2003 - 10:33:17 CST