Re: Optimal Flexible Architecture (OFA)

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 19:01:26 -0800

Comments in-line.

Howard J. Rogers wrote:

> "Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message
>

>>You are focusing on one aspect of OFA that, I know, is a big issue
>>in this usenet group due to the promotors of mythology. But OFA is
>>also, and I'd argue far more importantly, the way home directories
>>are laid out.

> I wasn't focusing on anything in particular. As I said, I/O contention is
> one aspect (dealt with by RAID) -and it's not all mythology, sinc SYSTEM and
> UNDO and TEMP should not be sharing the same device, except that in RAID you
> have no say in the matter, and probably don't need a say anyway. But the
> other aspects I also dealt with. Including the one of multiple homes...
> which ideally shouldn't arise, as I said. But if it does, then I fail to see
> why /product/oracle/8.1.7 and /product/oracle/9.2.0 is any better than
> /8.1.7 and /9.2.0.

Oh you of little experience dealing with some Americans. I have seen single machines with Oracle installed like this:

/apps/oracle/bin
/etc/oracle/bin
/var/oracle/bin

u01/bin

And all on one machine. Each one a different version.

> The one saving grace of OFA is that it would be the same on multiple
> installations, and you would know where to expect things to be. I can't put
> a price on that, so the discussion may be moot.
>
> But OFA was only ever commonsense writ large, and provided *someone's*
> commonsense applies, I see no reason to slavishly adopt OFA these days. OFA
> *principles*, yes. OFA itself... not necessarily.
>
> Regards
> HJR
When it comes to some aspects of OFA I agree. And it comes to throwing in politically charged words like "slavishly" I agree too. But I don't agree that every SysAdmin and every DBA should just go install Oracle any d... place on the disk array they feel like installing it ignoring the cost to their employer every time any other employee or contractor or consultant comes in and tries to do some work and first has to create a map of where they put things.

One can adhere to a standard because it has value without being a slave to it. I, for example, could wear a kilt to work but still choose to wear slacks. Don't have to but I figure my legs are as ugly as some people's Oracle installations. And no one should have to see either.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
(replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply)