Re: Recommended Linux for Oracle RAC, Oracle apps, Ias

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 21:32:31 +1100

"Sybrand Bakker" <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.nospam.demon.nl> wrote in message news:m9rbrvg00460oq1pkfpon03ddspdsvqbdm_at_4ax.com...
> On 15 Nov 2003 00:04:36 -0800, linuxquestion_at_yahoo.com wrote:
>

> >I want to install Linux on a 2.53 ghz processor, dual boot with
> >XP. Then, install Oracle and RAC on top of that, using firewire.
> >At home, for learning purposes.
> >
> >Later on, I want to install Oracle apps, and Oracle application server.
> >On the same kernel.
>
> You are going to find out this combination of Oracle software on one
> server is not going to work ever. Obviously you didn't read Oracle's
> hardware requirements and their advice NOT to run Oracle Application
> Server on a database server.
> Also please do not crosspost to every group you can spell.

He wants to learn, Sybrand. Not put it into production.

Right now, I have a single Windows 2003 server running VMware hosting 2 Red Hat 9 virtual machines running Oracle 9.2 in one with a logical standby in the other, 1 Red Hat 8.0 virtual machine running 9iAS, and 1 virtual machine running Windows XP acting as the Management Server and RMAN repository. It all works perfectly and pretty fast, and is an excellent platform to learn on. It requires only a bit of gumption and a couple of Gigabytes of RAM to run.

There is, in short, no reason why a learning environment should not be as challenging as you want to make it.

Regards
HJR Received on Sat Nov 15 2003 - 04:32:31 CST