Re: Recommended Linux for Oracle RAC, Oracle apps, Ias

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 20:29:06 +1100

<linuxquestion_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:672ceaed.0311150004.201821d0_at_posting.google.com...
> Hi all,
>
> After numerous hours attempting to get the Suse Personal Edition 8.2
> OS to work in a normal manner, I am considering another Linux.
>
> I am familiar with the Oracle Certification matrix.
> Yet, I want to ask your experienced opinions.
>
> I want to install Linux on a 2.53 ghz processor, dual boot with
> XP. Then, install Oracle and RAC on top of that, using firewire.
> At home, for learning purposes.
>
> Later on, I want to install Oracle apps, and Oracle application server.
> On the same kernel.
>
> What is a good version of Linux to work with?
>
> Criteria:
>
> - comes cheap on CDs (No support.)
> - underlying files are common to most Linux distributions.
> - OS works properly. ie. permanently set semaphores in minutes.
> - OS works with firewire
> - OS works with RAC
> - has large user community and lots of documentation on the web
>
> Will Redhat professional workstation work?
> How about Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS 2.1 Standard ED. Only $210.
> How about Mandrake? Linux 9.2 is only $7.00 at Linux Central.
> Is there a place to buy Redhat Enterprise or Advanced
> server cheap? Or download for free?
>
> Sorry for the dumb questions. It's not often I buy another
> operating system.
>
> Thanks a lot

Actually, SuSe is a very good distribution for Linux. But the minute you step outside the certification matrix, you must expect problems. You just have to google a lot to find the answers to particular issues such as your kernel parameters one.

That said, I wouldn't touch Mandrake. It's very nice for a desktop, but it's a bit of Mickey Mouse job as far as servers are concerned. Just my personal bias.

Red Hat is good. If you don't want to shell out for the biggie Enterprise stuff (and there's no need to, just to practice RAC), my vote would go (I think) to Red Hat 8.0, but Red Hat 9.0 is workable.

Regards
HJR (and if you do decide to go Red Hat or Mandrake, check out www.dizwell.com whitepapers). Received on Sat Nov 15 2003 - 03:29:06 CST