Re: Oracle 9i on Windows 2003 ??

From: Moritz Klein <mklein_at_students.uni-mainz.de>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 13:17:32 +0100

alcesteatxmissiondot_at_com.or.net wrote:

> Yes. Dell 6650 with 16GB RAM. Works just fine. I haven't
> benchmarked it but since the server is such completely overkill for
> what it's doing there may be little point. We did run into
> installation difficulties with the combination of our Antivirus
> software, 2003, and Oracle that we didn't have on 2000, but that's
> probably more to do with 2003/McAfee than with Oracle-- oracle just
> got the brunt of it because that's what was on the box.

We are running the server in Terminal-Server-Mode because some of our people want to run simulations on it too. This is the reason i did install Sophos Antivirus (we have a policy for installing it) and this works fine. Additional Software is at the moment Borland C++Builder6 and Compaq Visual fortran 6.5. Regarding benchmarks i transferred the static tables from our old database-server (dual PIII with 768 MB RAM and one 36 GB disk for the database) via a database link. While having both processors on 100% and a load of above 6 on our old server (SuSe 8.0) the new one only was at 20% with 2 processors (2 XEONs make 4 logical processors) completely idle. I hope i can benchmark a Windows2003 against an actual Linux-Distribution in the future.

Regards

    Moritz Received on Fri Nov 14 2003 - 06:17:32 CST