(re)compile takes forever...

From: Frank <fbortel_at_home.nl>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 22:51:45 +0100

Well, a couple of minutes, anyway.

I seem to recall a thread about changing remote_dependencies_mode from it's default TIMESTAMP to SIGNATURE, in order to speed things up.
However, the documentation tells me this is all about remote sites (the param isn't called the way it is for nothing :^))

Apart from that - if just recompiling a procedure, as opposed to package body, my guess is the signature changes, altho the calling mechanism did not change - all parameters are the same type, size and direction. So even tho there's no obvious need to go thru all dependencies, and invalidate, it happens nevertheless.

Having an argument about this, I'd like to know if I'm right about the above (changing doesn't help speeding up, as it changes anyway - go package (body)).

What about it - is my memory (and google) about to abandon me? Are this the tell-tale signs I gonna end up like RR?

Thank you,

--
Regards, Frank van Bortel