Re: db file sequential read wait

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 20:09:42 -0000

The times on v$sql are not entirely trustworthy, and I believe there were some bugs especially relating to DML (as opposed to query).

On most platforms, CPU time is accurate to 1/100 of a second, and elapsed is reported to 1/1000000 of a second in 9.2 - so the dramatic differences could be the result of rounding errors.

I would pick on a session level report of CPU time (from v$sesstat) and wait time (from v$session_event) and identify sessions which seem to have a performance problem -perhaps by asking the users if they perceive their work to be running slowly - and then switch on extended tracing for one session at a time to see where the time is going.

--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

  The educated person is not the person
  who can answer the questions, but the
  person who can question the answers -- T. Schick Jr

One-day tutorials:
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/tutorial.html
____Belgium__November (EOUG event - "Troubleshooting")
____UK_______December (UKOUG conference - "CBO")

Three-day seminar:
see http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/seminar.html
____UK___November

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

"Bosco Ng" <boscoklng_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Hi, I am trying to tune a system that has the following top 5 wait
> events in statspack report (9.2.0.3 on AIX, 1G buffer cache, 120M
> shared pool)
>
> Top 5 Timed Events
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> % Total
> Event Waits Time
(s)
> Ela Time
> -------------------------------------------- ------------ ----------
-
> --------
> db file sequential read 1,388,390
9,767
> 50.21
> CPU time
8,186
> 42.08
> db file parallel write 17,703
1,195
> 6.14
> latch free 37,832
116
> .60
> log file sync 1,661
56
> .29
>
> And what's making mad is that every insert / update / delete to some
> particular tables (single row / few rows update/insert/delete they
> are) has a big difference between CPU time and Elapsed time:
> (timed_statstics turned on):
>
> CPU Elapsd
> Buffer Gets Executions Gets per Exec %Total Time (s) Time
(s)
-
> 7,532,522 134,111 56.2 4.4 180.03
807.96
> Module: SQL*Plus
> INSERT INTO TABLE_A ( RDG_DATE, XXXXXXXXX,
> INVALID_FLAG, VALIDATION_BY_PASS, XXXX,
> CAPTURE_DATETIME, UPDATE_DATETIME, CREATED_BY,
>
> 6,531,957 48,399 135.0 3.8 122.03
1111.75