Re: RMAN Compession (Again)

From: Don Seiler <don_at_seiler.us>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 15:59:40 GMT

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 15:30:53 +0000, Brian Peasland wrote:

> RMAN doesn't have any gzip-like compression utility built into it. So
> you'll have to use an external routine to do this if you want. RMAN does
> let you run an outside utility with the HOST command, right from your
> RMAN script. So you can use that. But heed Sybrand's warning that the
> compressed file won't be able to be used by RMAN until you manually
> uncompress it.

From what I'm reading at

http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96565/rcmsynta30.htm#90469

the HOST operation would be done _after_ the backup. I haven't tested it yet, but it seems that like that still wouldn't help. I would need the files to be gzipped as they come off the line while the next piece is being worked on. I'll test it now. Received on Mon Nov 10 2003 - 09:59:40 CST