Re: RMAN Compession (Again)

From: Don Seiler <don_at_seiler.us>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 16:19:36 GMT

Hmmm Just realized that I could steal a page from my old setup and run sql to get the list of datafiles and make individual rman BACKUP calls for each datafile and gzip then before calling the next one.

Some if this is stolen from the orahot script I inherited off of our Oracle 7 DB. Let me know what you think:

(shell script)

cat <<-EOSQL | sqlplus -s uname/pass_at_sid > $BACKUP_DIR/files.lst

    set feed off
    set pages 0
    select file_name from sys.dba_data_files;

Then I would loop through that files.lst, which should just contain the names of all my datafiles and call something like this for each one:

rman target / nocatalog << EOF
backup datafile $dfile
format $format;
host 'gzip $figure_out_name_from_format'

and that should be it. I could probably just gzip any file that isn't a .gz or the files.lst file. Anyway that can be figured out.

So is my strategy just defeating the whole point of RMAN? Received on Mon Nov 10 2003 - 10:19:36 CST