Re: A typical day for me, as a DBA ...

From: Ryan Gaffuri <rgaffuri_at_cox.net>
Date: 6 Nov 2003 05:03:18 -0800

domenicg_at_hotmail.com (Domenic G.) wrote in message news:<c7e08a19.0311011611.4eeac2c0_at_posting.google.com>...
> Me: Why aren't we using RMAN?
> Boss: We use export db.
> Me: But these are production databases!
> Boss: So.
> Me: RMAN is great, let's you even recover corrupted blocks.
> Boss: We don't need that.
>
> Next conversation ...
>
> Boss: Call Sun and get them to send a rep over for a cluster purchase.
> Me: OK.
> Sun: So what kind of solution do you want?
> Boss: The solution with the highest availability.
> Sun: Do you want disaster recovery?
> Boss: No, we can afford to be down for 2 weeks.
> Me: Pissing my pants.
>
> These are true stories -- is this guy a bafoon or what?
>
> Domenic.

we all have our stories. I had a technical lead once who wouldnt let me write stored code in the database because it 'cluttered the database'. She wouldnt let me use libraries with the forms, so we would re-write the exact same code in alot of forms. Then when it came time to change it, we had to change it in 10 places, but there was no documentation.

so we would forget. then management would get mad because it was a DOD project and Q/A was done by a competing company so when stuff gets rejected they look bad.

Happens to everyone... yours is very funny though. RMAN comes with the Enterprise edition right at no extra cost and the guy wants to spend mony on a new server? Received on Thu Nov 06 2003 - 07:03:18 CST