Re: Migration

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 09:54:05 +1100

"A. Teles" <ateles_at_netcabo.pt> wrote in message news:3fa97f03$0$6606$a729d347_at_news.telepac.pt...
> Hi,
>
> Could someone please help me?
>
> Assumption situation - Platform migration of Oracle DW on Oracle DB (data
> volume 3.5 TB) from HP-UX to IBM-AIX
>
> 1.. DB migration; it is correct to use Export/Import technique/method in
> the above assumption?

Since you are crossing platforms, then Export/Import is the only way to go (unless you create an empty database on AIX and use database links to pull the data across... but that's going to be fiddly).

> 2.. Witch is the time frame in a worst case for this (how many hours,
> days or weeks!!)?

Worst case? Weeks. That's a lot of data to shift. However you do it, it's going to take days, minimum, I would have said.

> 3.. It is possible to apply the mentioned technique or some other (witch
> one?) in uptime, totally or partially?

Export is merely selecting against the database, so it doesn't require downtime. And likewise importing onto a second box shouldn't have any impact on the availability of the first box. But, export with CONSISTENT=Y is going to want to take (effectively) a snapshot of the entire database as it was the moment the export started. And that means it's going to rely pretty heavily on rollback/undo to create the read consistent images of the data it will require.Given you're a data warehouse, one presumes there is not too much DML activity on the database, so that oughtn't to be a problem for you, but if there is DML, then it might be.

Regards
HJR