Re: Oracle eats up memory

From: Thomas T <T_at_T>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 17:51:55 -0500

"Hans Forbrich" <forbrich_at_yahoo.net> wrote in message news:3FA9293D.1AFE7F65_at_yahoo.net...
> Poh wrote:
> >
> > My Oracle 8.1.5 running on Windows NT 4.0 is consuming a lot
> > of memory and does not release the memory untill the client that is
> > accessing the database is terminated. My client is also running on
> > Windows NT4.0. My client is accessing the database using ADO.
> > On startup, the client opens multiple connections to the database.
> > The database is searched and updated by the client through stored
> > procedure on the Oracle. The client closes the connections before
> > terminating.
> >
> > I checked the task manager. It shows Oracle uses 245MB of memory
> > and 570MB of virtual memory.
> > Why Oracle continues to consume memory and does not release the
> > memory until the client is terminated.
>
> Have you verified that the memory is being held due to Oracle's action?
>
> Or is it possibly due to the ADO client not releasing the connection
> (and the poor server is simply doing what it is told to do)? In which
> case, is it possible the client is using poorly developed code?
>
> And is there a particularily good reason for still using 8.1.5 (which is
> obsolete, 'cause lots of stuff's been fixed). Any possibility of
> getting at least to 8.1.7, if not 9.2.x?
>
> --
> /Hans

Combine that with the fact that Microsoft is also de-supporting NT4, and it seems like a really good time to upgrade the server and the database at the same time. See
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];lifeWinNTSBS for the Product Support Lifecycle Policy on NT4. Consider using Server 2003; one of it's design requirements was that an upgrade from an NT4 system could be performed with a minimum of trouble. The goal was to pull the NT4 users into using Server 2003. You can even run old legacy apps from within virtual machines inside of Server 2003.

-Thomas Received on Wed Nov 05 2003 - 16:51:55 CST