Re: Using Oracle Replication To Move A New Production Database

From: Robert D. Perry <rdperry_at_gowebway.com>
Date: 5 Nov 2003 08:21:33 -0800

Thanks for your response. Brian has really peaked my interest with Transportable Tablespaces. Since we have never been able to duplicate the problem, it would not be a total loss if the problem manifested itself in the new database during the test phase. The tables we are having the problem with are some of the most frequently used so I have not been able to test some ideas I have been kicking around.

If using transportable tablespace works......GREAT!. If the problem rears it's head, I would welcome the opportunity to resolve it in a non production environment. Worse case, we would either use replication or log miner to move the data.

BTW....does the location of the datafiles on the target database have to mirror the location of production when you use transportable tablespace. If not, I can move the problem tablespaces to a test database located on our production server. This database was created to help troubleshoot our problem.

Once again...thanks for the response.