Re: Using Oracle Replication To Move A New Production Database

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 16:48:52 GMT

> Thanks for your response. Brian has really peaked my interest with
> Transportable Tablespaces.

Keep in mind that Transportable Tablespaces won't move objects that are non-segments over. In other words, your procedures, functions, views, etc won't be moved. You'll have to reverse engineer DDL statements to create these on your destination database, but that is pretty easy to do.

> BTW....does the location of the datafiles on the target database have
> to mirror the location of production when you use transportable
> tablespace. If not, I can move the problem tablespaces to a test
> database located on our production server. This database was created
> to help troubleshoot our problem.

The location of the datafiles doesn't make a different. You can change directory structures with Transportable Tablespaces. But keep in mind that both your source server and the destination server need to be the same platform. i.e. Windows & Windows, or Solaris & Solaris for Transportable Tablespaces to be an option.

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com