Re: Table not found with jdbc sql statement

From: Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater_at_gmx.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 13:07:53 +0100

Simon Bieri schrieb:

> Hi
>
> I have a big problem. I created some tables in a db with a standard sql
> script (script is below).
> Now I try to select the table DbTableOne with a normal java script via
> oracles jdbc thin driver (I tried with both classes111.zip as well
> classes12.zip). When I enter the table name without double quotes
> (DbTableOne), I can connect to it. When I enter the table name with the
> double quotes ("DbTableOne"), I receive the error message, that there's
> no such table.
>
> What's wrong? With SQL 99 standard this should not be a problem?

In contrary:

The SQL standard says that as soon as you put an object in double quotes, the database has to handle that case sensitive. When you create a table in Oracle the table name is stored in uppercase, thus your mixed case name is not found. btw: SQL*Plus should react in the same way.

 From my point of view using double quotes for table names is a bad habit and should be avoided at all.

Thomas Received on Thu Oct 30 2003 - 06:07:53 CST