Re: database revovery issue(my system is down)

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 29 Oct 2003 15:39:07 -0800

"Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote in message news:<3fa00f7c$0$28120$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au>...
> "utkanbir" <hopehope_123_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > I understand your point but believe me it is not my style to deal with
> > a serious system like this. Although i am new with with oracle ,i have
> > strong experience with database systems.
>
> All of which you can now throw out of the door for this particular problem.
> Oracle isn't just another database system, at least as far as backup and
> recovery is concerned. You, your dba's, "people" need to know how *Oracle*
> works, otherwise it becomes just a matter of blundering around and hoping.
> Funny thing is, recovery is really quite easy, so long as you know the
> (about) five basic principles.

And principle 0: Call Oracle Support if you are in over your head with a down production system.

> >I restored lots of database
> > server systems only difference is they were not oracle, and i trained
> > lots of people about data archive procedures , rules , check-lists
> > ,etc. Suggested them same things that you suggested to me , and posted
> > messages to people who played with their system like a toy in order to
> > make them understand the value of their system. So , again i know your
> > point.But my point is , i am new with this job , large database ,
> > missing procedures , and actions taken by whom are considered
> > experienced with their job. i agree with you that i am asking so many
> > questions , but i am not blindly playing with the gigabytes server .
>
> What I wrote wasn't intended as a go at you personally. Just amazement in
> general that people ask for help *after* they've already 'had a go' (and
> thus changed things irrevocably, and beyond the point at which help and
> advice is usually much good).

That's an interesting and subtle point. People are expected to be competent and trained before this all happens. And yet, both Oracle and non-O expect manual procedures to cover all possible situations without error. So how do you stop at that point with everyone breathing down your neck for results? How do you even ascertain the point? There is no feedback until it is too late.

> Also astonishment at how many people report losing data from an Oracle
> database when the guarantee is desperately simple: you will not lose
> committed data from an Oracle database. Provided one knows what one is
> doing, has a complete backup to hand, and don't lose archive and online redo
> logs.

I wonder how many people think they have a complete backup but really have run into bug 1638610? While that is an 8i bug, a support person sent me a note that doesn't seem to be on metalink, that seems to say it is still in 9.2 - if you let W2K shut down some services on OS shutdown, the Windows security dll doesn't wait around for the services to stop, regardless of registry settings - hosing the db such that a cold backup is likely to be useless. Easy enough to work around, provided you know that is what you are supposed to be doing. If someone would be so kind as to elucidate a link to where that is common knowledge, I would appreciate it.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
Of course, I would also appreciate knowing why oracle.exe suddenly