Re: SQL Server Yukon

From: Database Guy <dbguy101_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 29 Oct 2003 15:33:12 -0800

Rene Nyffenegger <rene.nyffenegger_at_gmx.ch> wrote in message news:<bnoud4$sql7g$2_at_ID-82536.news.uni-berlin.de>...

> >> Actually, it is supposed to happen. It has been widely publicized that
> >> M$ will be replacing NTFS with a database running the SQL Server engine
> >> (should be appearing in Longhorn). Instead of a file system that uses
> >> directories, etc., one will just put their files into a database. It
> >> should be obvious to this group the advantages of this approach.

[snipped]

> Not that I like MS's bundling of os with db, though.

It will be interesting to see if Microsoft can make this succeed. Probably the most successful such offering at present is OS/400, yet even that's perceived by many as a legacy platform. As for all the Pick variants...

But if Microsoft try to push this one has to take note, although personally I dislike the idea of tieing a DBMS too closely to the o/s. Interestingly, it's the exact opposite of the direction IBM have taken (moving from o/s specific DBMS's to a cross-platform one) - and would certainly seem to guarentee that SQL Server is never going to run on anything except Windows in the foreseeable, if there was ever any doubt.

DG Received on Wed Oct 29 2003 - 17:33:12 CST