Re: Oracle versioning discovery

From: Alan <desertflowerln_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 29 Oct 2003 11:15:19 -0800

Pete Finnigan <plsql_at_petefinnigan.com> wrote in message news:<vEN7ZfAyJ6n$QxQb_at_peterfinnigan.demon.co.uk>...
> Hi
>
> If you wish to do it programatically then try looking in the $ORACLE_BAS
> E/oraInstaller/installerActions.log (the file name is from memory, i am
> sure you will find it). Parse the file and all of the installed versions
> are listed towards the end. Also you can search the oraInventory
> directory, there is a sub-directory for each component with sub-
> directories for each version (i.e the name of the sub-directory is its
> version). You could connect to the database and query v$version. You can
> also use the OUI. This issue was discussed recently a few times in this
> group or the ORACLE-L list, search google for more info.
>
> kind regards
>
> Pete

Thanks Pete.

I did miss an important point in my initial message. I am trying to identify the Oracle versions installed on a box just from the OS perspective, assuming I don't have access to the database. So yes using v$ views can find that easily, but I need to find the same info just from the OS/file level.
So installaction.log file does have that info. My concern is if a particular Oracle Home is deinstalled from the system, will it update this file and remove that? Will it show the remaining Oracle Homes (assuming there are multi oracle homes there) at the bottom the log file again? Received on Wed Oct 29 2003 - 13:15:19 CST