DBCA stalls at installation of Oracle9i

From: Philip Juels <pjuels_at_rics.bwh.harvard.edu>
Date: 29 Oct 2003 07:18:36 -0800

Hi all,

Im trying to install Oracle9i R2 onto a SuSE 8.2 box (2.4GHz P4, 1GB RAM) and the installer stalls at the Database Creation Assistant (dbca). Specifically, the dbca fails, after which I comment out some of the last lines in the $ORACLE_HOME/bin/dbca file as follows:

#if [ -f /etc/rac_on ]; then
# Run DBCA

$JRE_DIR/bin/jre -native -DORACLE_HOME=$OH -DJDBC_PROTOCOL=thin -mx64m -classpa$
#else
# Run DBCA
#$JRE_DIR/bin/jre -DORACLE_HOME=$OH -DJDBC_PROTOCOL=thin -mx64m
-classpath $CLA$
#fi

With this change, I retry the dbca and it appears to go through its routine...copies. creates, initializes database, etc. However, after I change the SYS and SYSTEM passwords, and the dbca returns to the "Configuration Tools" window, it just seems to hang "in progress". I left it overnight and it was still "in progress." And it doesn't respond to "Stop."

Background: before I attempted to install Oracle9i, I installed orarun.rpm, gcc_old-2.95 (/opt/gcc295), and followed the Oracle installation guides found on the SuSE and Oracle websites as closely as possible (particuarly the fixes for the errors)

Any help?

Thanks,

Philip Juels
pjuels_at_rics.bwh.harvard.edu Received on Wed Oct 29 2003 - 09:18:36 CST