Re: How to avoid a temporary table

From: Database Guy <dbguy101_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 25 Oct 2003 15:42:39 -0700

tojo <Tojo_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<MPG.1a01f275288755fd9896bc_at_news.t-online.de>...

> Oracle 9i has the new WITH clause for SQL, which lets you modularize
> repeating SELECTS. Search the SQL docs for "subquery_factoring_clause",
> it should help.

Just for the record, there's nothing "new" about common table expressions (aka the WITH clause for SQL). DB2 has supported the ANSI syntax for these since 1995, including the self-referencing form that defines a recursive query. As per Jack Wang's post on Yukon features, SQL Server seems to be about to fully support CRTs to. I don't know whether Oracle 10g will support the recursive form?

DG Received on Sat Oct 25 2003 - 17:42:39 CDT