Re: Quiz

From: <Kenneth>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2003 14:06:51 GMT

Comments below.
On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 05:20:33 GMT, "nobody" <nobody_at_nowhere.com> wrote:

>must be bored or unemployed
>
>1)
> select *
> from test a
> where date_out in (select min(date_out)
> from test where location=a.location)
>

>ok I cheated and should spell out the elements instead of *
>
>2) Unless there is some new function in 9i that I am unaware of. I dont see
>how to do this without using a function that returns the locations of a
>character within a string to ensure
>that the brackets and space are in the correct place . without using
>instring or substring.

Hmm...but you could use SUBSTR and INSTR...INSTRING and SUBSTRING are not even present in Oracle...a trick question, I guess....

But even without SUBSTR and INSTR, you can do it :

The number must be of length 14. It must start with a '(', the fifth character must be ')',
the 7th character must be a '-', the 6th and 8th must be spaces. The rest are digits So :

create or replace function check_number(number in varchar2) is
begin
  return (

  number like '(___) ___-____'
  and ltrim(translate(number,'()- 0123456789',' ')) is null;

         );
end check_number;