Re: Simple Question for you all...

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 24 Oct 2003 17:14:34 -0700

Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<1067010472.19413_at_yasure>...
> TheSensFan wrote:
>
> >I have a table in my Oracle database that I will be performing some updates
> >on and would like to be able to revert back to the original table if the
> >changes I make do not work.
> >
> >So far I am able to do an export of the table and import the table (using
> >exp and imp). However, I can not seem to get the import to overwrite
> >entries.
> >
> >From the looks of things I have to delete the old entries and then do an
> >import.
> >
> >So I guess the short of it all is. Is there a way to import a table and
> >force it to overwrite?
> >
> >Thanks!
> >

> Seems to me a far easier thing to do would be:
>
> CREATE TABLE mytable_bak
> PCTFREE 0
> NOLOGGING
> TABLESPACE <tablespace_name> AS
> SELECT * FROM mytable;
>
> Hard disk is hard disk. The backup table will take no more room than the
> export and be
> both faster and simpler.

Hard disk may be hard disk, but comress is beyond Oracle's ken. From a data management viewpoint, you might want to keep the exported file backed up elsewhere, and not impact backups on the original db.

Of course, it only makes a difference if it is a big enough amount of data to, uh, make a difference.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/uniontrib/fri/business/news_1b24gateway.html