Re: Oracle speed issue between 8i and 9i

From: Anurag Varma <avdbi_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 05:25:59 GMT

"David McFarlane" <davidm_at_thoughtweb.com> wrote in message news:a1447255.0310211813.4b56cf6_at_posting.google.com...
> My company has used Oracle 8i quite extensively, and have started to
> look at 9i. We have noticed a huge degradation in performance from 8i
> to 9i (where both of these databases are setup using a default
> installation). A set of read, calculate and write which was taking in
> the order of 10 seconds on 8i, now takes approx 6 minutes on 9i. Our
> application has a large number of small queries that are being
> executed during this process and it's not really possible at this
> stage to re-write this process.
>
> Our application is written in Java, and is using a standard jdbc
> connection (oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver) using a tcpip connection
> to oracle (jdbc:oracle:thin:@serverip:1521:sidname) - we have tried to
> use the 'classes12.zip' file supplied with 8i, and have also tried the
> 'ojbdc14.jar' for 9i with little difference in results.
>
> Has anyone seen this kind of problem, and do you have any thoughts on
> how to fix it?

If you look at the archives in this newsgroup, a question like this has no simple answer.

We don't know how you upgraded from 8i to 9i. What optimizer you are using, or whether your tables are analyzed at all, or what init.ora parameters you are running, or a sample of queries which are performing bad (along with their explain plans).

A lot of questions which you need to provide inputs for. You seem to have given adequate info on the jdbc driver which might not be even remotely connected to the issue.

Anurag Received on Wed Oct 22 2003 - 00:25:59 CDT