Re: new word

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 11:04:53 +1000

Daniel Morgan wrote:

> Jim Kennedy wrote:
>

>>I must say that I had to look up slubberdegullion
>>(http://www.worldwidewords.org/weirdwords/ww-slu1.htm). I consider myself
>>fairly erudite, but Howard certainly taught me a new word.
>>Jim
>>From: "Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
>>Subject: Re: Update On Jitendra Patel & TUSC
>>Date: Sunday, October 12, 2003 4:28 PM
>><snip for brevity only>
>>I have no doubt that they will respond very quickly and very emphatically
>>to disassociate themselves from this slubberdegullion. Otherwise, thinking
>>people might come to what I am sure is entirely the wrong opinion.
>>
>>Regards
>>HJR
>>

> I'd avoid using it in polite company though it might be of value if you
> do crossword puzzles. Perhaps it one
> of those quaint words they use in Oz like the English use lorry.   ;-)

I recommend a mouthful of salted peanuts when you try it, in whatever company you happen to be in.

My thanks to Jim Kennedy for pointing me to a link whereat a rather rare spelling of sl*A*bberdegullion is noted. Not one I knew about.

But, incidentally: I use this term all the time. Are you seriously telling me that no-one else does?? What do you call your cat who, having just demolished a tin of Whiskas, decides to salivate all over your lap?? Slubberdegullion is the only word that springs to mind on such occasions, of which there are many (trust me!!).

Besides, it scares the cat witless (especially after a mouthfull of peanuts) and usually does the necessary: the extrication of the feline from my jambons (legs, in case anyone asks).

Regards
HJR

See my brand new website, soon to be full of
new articles: www.dizwell.com.
Nothing much there yet, but give it time!!