Re: Single-disk database and I/O load balancing?

From: Burt Peltier <burttemp1ReMoVeThIs_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 11:25:34 -0500

Looks like 4 disks are recommended from M$ and the performance comments sound almost exactly like Oracle.

But, everyone believes sqlserver is soooo easy to administer, why would anyone read this ... just hit next, next, next, finish - right?

From this URL (scroll down to "Configuration of SQL Server 2000"): http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/itsolutions/idc/rag/ragc06.asp

For performance reasons, the following SQL Server files should be split into different storage sets:

  a.. Transaction log files
  b.. Tempdb files
  c.. Data files
  d.. Index files

It is strongly recommended that the transaction log files and tempdb files be put on RAID 0/1 but not on RAID 5, because of the performance penalty caused by high write I/O rates. Similarly, the data files and index files should also be stored on RAID 0/1 storage sets, but in the case of an application that is not write-intensive can be placed on RAID 5.