Re: Problem with temp tablespace

From: Jaap W. van Dijk <j.w.vandijk.removethis_at_hetnet.nl>
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 12:24:47 +0200

On Wed, 8 Oct 2003 18:56:07 +0000 (UTC), Stan Brown <stanb_at_panix.com> wrote:

>First why is it trying to use INDEX2_Ts for temp space, when I have altered
>the sue in question to use TEMP_TS for that?
A create index statement will first read the required table data into the tablespace which is assigned as the temporary tablespace.

But then, if all is sorted, the index segment in INDEX2_TS must be created. Oracle does this by creating a temporary segment in INDEX2_TS, filling it with the index data (if this goes wrong you get the error you reported). While Oracle is busy filling the segment you can check its existance in DBA_SEGMENTS. After Oracle has succeeded in filling the segment with all the data, things are made official and the temporary segment is rebaptized into a permanent segment with the name specified in your create index statement.

Hope this clears things up.

Jaap. Received on Sat Oct 11 2003 - 05:24:47 CDT